Saturday, April 23, 2011

Anatomy of a Motorcycle Wreck, and Why I will Ride Again

The ride to where I was going was textbook perfect. It was sunny, there were some cross winds, but those were only in the straightaways where there were no trees to shield me. I was so proud of myself (still am) for reaching Tomball (35 miles from home) on my first ride that wasn't around the neighborhood, that after I backed the bike into it's parking slot, I punched the air.

The trip home a few hours later wasn't so perfect. The Sun was shining, but the head winds were truly bad. At least they seemed so to me, the novice. I'm sure an expert rider would have found them challenging, but not scary like I did. At any rate, the first half of the ride was okay, the head winds sucked, but I handled them and even pulled off into a gas station and took a rest at the half way mark. I needed to plan the rest of my ride, as I hadn't taken the winds into account in my plans.

One cigarette later, and after running the rest of the route, which was full of curves, through my head, I was back on the road and dealing rather well with the extra challenge.

Or so I thought.

Looking back on the wreck now, I see my mistake. If the price of my stupidity is leaving some of y skin on Fry Road is the price I have to pay in exchange for walking away, then I'm fine with it. However, I do have to reconstruct yesterday's events so that I learn from my mistakes.

On a long, deceptively sharp curve on Fry, approaching the intersection with Hwy 529, the winds went from head to cross. I had to lean harder on the bike, fine no probs..my posture was good, eyes were where I wanted to be. Then, in the apex, a fierce gust hit me, jogging the handlebars...well the whole bike, actually.

I panicked. Panicked and made a stupid error. Broke the cardinal rule of riding.

I took my eyes off of the road and grabbed the front brake when my wheels weren't aligned.


I remember the bike going out of control, which worsened the panic and I threw my legs out and off the pegs. Then I remember going down, at some point I hit the engine off button (thank you Jesus), and slid about 20 or 30 feet. I remember checking my speed as I approached the curve and downshifting in anticipation of the red light ahead, and I was doing about 50 as I entered the curve and began slowing down, so I figure that I was going 35 to 40 when the crash happened.
People say that when they were in accidents that their lives flashed before their eyes...not me. I distinctly remember thinking this: “You have to be fucking kidding me” as I hit the pavement and slid.
As soon at we stopped I got up and got onto the grass next to me, and two gentlemen stopped and helped me get the bike up and out of the street. I called then texted Mike and then Jason. Mike got AAA to come out and so I spent an hour and a half cooling down in the nearby Jack in the Box.
I got drunk on purpose once I got home and cleaned my wounds. I didn’t want to dream about the wreck, and if I did I don’t remember.
This morning I am sore, well it’s way beyond sore, dehydrated (thanks you scotch!) and mad at myself. No, supremely pissed is a better way to describe it, actually.
What I should have done was just keep my eyes on the road, looking in the direction I wanted to go and rolled a tad more on the throttle until I got onto the small straightaway. Then, I’d have been able to do a rapid stop, or maybe the light would have turned green.  Had I kept my eyes on the prize, the bike would have righted it self and I’d have been fine.
I made a stupid mistake and consider myself blessed that all that happened was I got scraped up and the bike is missing a peg and some paint.
I will NEVER make this mistake again, that’s for sure and naturally I will ride again, as soon as the bike is fixed and my ego is less bruised.  The fun part is going to be telling my parents, (who really don’t like me riding even thought they haven’t told me so) today when I take the kids to see them. I am SOOOO looking forward to that talk with them.




But, I will ride again. I love riding, the smells of the road or the new mown grass, the morning and afternoon of this ride I smelled the freshness of just sawn lumber.  I like the challenge, riding has made me a better driver, I'm more aware of the cars around me. I love the freedom that riding gives me, there is nothing better than a clear day and riding the country roads, especially when I am behind Mike, my arms wrapped around him as we zip along.


So this accident won't stop me from riding, I enjoy it too much to stop.  
My knee

My Elbow

My Shoulder



No comments:

Post a Comment