Thursday, January 26, 2012

My God, He's Making me Draw!

My art appreciation professor assigned the class it's first hands on project for the semester. It's a 100 point project and it's due one month from today.

We have to take an advertisement, full face shot, and reproduce it in pencil in the naturalist style. Then we have to do a series of panels, where we take our reproduction and add abstract elements, then after completing 8 of these panels, we are to redo the original naturalism drawing in the abstract.

I draw stick people remarkably well.  That is the extent of my talent.

Happily, Dave said that we can use a grid to do the work, as long as the grid lines don't appear on the finished product.

Today I hie to Hobby Lobby to buy artist pencils, since the work can only be in black and white. The skillful use of eraser and smudging can provide proper shading, etc. It looks to be an interesting project.

Yesterday, it rained cats and dogs. I, as a consequence to having to walk about campus, spent the day in wet shoes. I hate having my feet stuck in wet shoes. My feet were all pruney when I took them off at home. I digress, while I killed time in-between classes, I got to meet a few of my fellow students, all younger than me of course, and we spent a couple of hours just hanging out and talking about anything. Surprisingly, three of the young men were musicians, and even though they are about 19 to 20 years old, they all appreciate Rush! They are also surprisingly conservative in some areas, financial in particular.

The main reason they are doing their core work at the community college is because of the cost of higher education. Marcus, one of the guys I was talking with, made a good point when he said that it made no sense to pay triple or quadruple the tuition for math, when he could save the money. He will transfer his credits to the 4 year he wants to attend, once his core is done. He will still have to borrow, but this way he is borrowing less.

Very sensible of him.

I am really enjoying talking to the kids I meet on campus. Thus far, they have been polite and engaging. They all think it rocks that someone my age is starting a second career. Last semester, after I made friends of a sort with a few girls, I even got asked advise about boys. Yesterday I was asked about how to get ahead at the work place...then we talked about music, art and professors who suck.

The real treat is when one of the music students breaks out his instrument and plays. Last semester I got treated to many an impromptu guitar performance, yesterday was the violin. On Monday, for the Chinese New Year, there were dragons and drums.

I am really enjoying school and sometimes I regret not going when I was much younger. Sometimes. I don' t think that I really would have appreciated the experience back then.

I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment