Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The First Beaux

My 16 year old daughter has a beau...he's 16 like she is, and has had a crush on her since October.  He only started making courting gestures last month.

Tonight he came over so that we could meet him, and Mike and I also got to meet his parents. He's a nice guy, who reminds me in so many ways, of my first boyfriend. Tall, dark and nerdy. He also plays guitar and cello. Is into greek mythology and thinks that Mars is ripe for terraforming...and he's polite!

The dog likes him too, so that's a plus.

I confess that I am really not ready for my daughter to be dating...she's only 16!  I now know how my parents felt...to me she is still that little babe I held in my arms and fed, not this gorgeous, intelligent creature with a knockout bod....

I am drawn back to my youth, when I was a bit younger, and this boy who was the first to claim my heart. I had my first kiss at a dance in middle school...and I can say, that to this date, it was the sweetest, most incredible kiss I've ever had.

I mean no offense to my Mike, none at all, but there is something about that first kiss that renders it the best. It's the breathless excitement of the unknown...chaste yet scintillating; it's something a girl (and I suspect a boy) never forgets. That shiver down the spine, the reward of many a nervous thought, action and dream. That tingle in the toes ( and other parts, naughty!) the feeling that one can fly. The trembles, the sighs....oh to be that innocent again!

What heaven that first kiss was!

What bliss that first touch of a strong set of hands about one's waist. The clean smell of his skin, and the breathless nervousness of it all. It was so pure, yet so decadent. The memory is so sweet! It makes my heart pound even to this day!

I want that for my daughter, yet I don't. I want her to feel that swooping of the stomach, the taste of that first kiss on her lips....but I also want to kill the SOB that dares tread that territory.

I am a parent...oh my god....this is hellish and also delightful. It's so hard to put into words...I am happy and sad. I know how may parent's felt. It's just as bad as being an adolescent all over again, only this time, when her heart gets broken it will be two of us suffering. We have reached that fork, that beginning of the road that will lead her away from me and to her own destiny.

It is incredible. It's scary. It's wonderful, yet heartbreaking to behold.

Yet, I wouldn't trade this for all of the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment