Monday, June 20, 2011

Riding, Crosswinds and Summer Weight Jackets

In about 3 weeks, Mike and I depart for a ride to Norfolk, via the back roads. We will be attending the Blue Knights International, and will be riding with Jason, Cherie and a friend of theirs. This is our second "long" trip, last year's being a ride to the Ozark's and the adventure that was Mount Nebo.

I am so looking forward to this trip, two weeks away from home, the kids and reality. Two weeks of living with 3 pairs of jeans (1 on, 2 packed) 5 t-shirts, 5 pair undies, 3 pair socks, the basics in as far as hygiene and NO MAKE UP!!!!  It's also a test of one's relationship with others, ie: spouse and friends. Especially when it's hot as hell and a day's ride is 400 or so miles per day.

Last year's trip was our first together and it came at the mid point of our new relationship, meaning we were exclusively dating, but hadn't yet decided that we were ready to make it permanent. A lot of things can go wrong when travelling together, especially on a motorcycle and most especially into uncharted territory, so a test it was. Happily, Mike passed with flying colors as did I, since we are now a happy couple planning our "official" nuptuals.

Today we took a trip to Austin, so that I could get my military I.D. It was also a test run for my new summer weight, mesh riding jacket.

The day started off well, sunny and warm. The jacket was awesome, but the cross winds were suckish. I don't like cross winds, seeing as I am a new rider and crashed my bike on Good Friday because I panicked in strong cross winds. That aside, Mike rode well and even coached me on HOW to handle the cross winds,  so that when I make my distance solo (to San Antonio and back) I won't crash my bike.

We made it to Camp Mabry, got my I.D. and then I got to discover the joys of the PX. Mike got a bottle of lovely scotch and I got a bottle of Chanel perfume at a KNOCKDOWN price.

Now, we are home, my butt is sore and I am feeling quite satisfied. The Mojito I am currently drinking is lovely and I am trying to figure out how to travel with mojito mix and rum on the July trip, whilst not  taking up precious space in the saddle bags.

July will be fun...a long trip, but fun. Our new seat (an air seat with adjustable bladders for comfort) will be in this week, the route is planned and I will ride through states I've never been too before (Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc.). I expect to return sunburned, relaxed and renewed.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a fun summer planned, enjoy riding:)

    ReplyDelete